Monday, 8 December 2014

Would a thriller have a strong audience to support it?

The audience to most thriller/action films are looking for exciting dramatic content. I did some planning into my audience because I want to see how popular the genre 'Thriller' and 'Action' are and who visits the cinema the most, as to target my film at as big a audience as possible.


After some research I found some secondary material which showed the popularity of different genres. It stated the genre's percent of releases by number and percent of Box Office Gross, together I used these two figures to help me understand how successful a action/thriller film could be. It shows that the action genre is quite popular, however thriller isn't as popular with it's highest score of 5%. I think this helps me plan my film in that I don't want to focus too heavily on a genre of thriller and actually involve a stronger side towards action because it may get more attention and the diagram shows that it turns over a higher Box Office Gross. 

I've also thought about who is the best audience for me and what would give the best chance of my film being successful. Some factors I have thought about when planning my audience has been gender and age.


This table that I also discovered through secondary research has helped me understand the general audience for UK cinemas in terms of gender and age. Considering that my film will probably be rated a 15+ I have ignored the 7-14 section of the table. However it is very interesting to see that most of the UK cinema audience consists of young adults, aged 15-24 and particularly males. This information has been helpful for me because it has helped me realise that I must aim my film at a young audience, particular males because then I have a higher chance of it being watched in cinemas by as many people as possible.

I also looked at some of the films I researched to help get any ideas and things to avoid and use.I looked into how the filmed did in different location to see if the audience for my film would be successful in the UK. On the opening weekend of The Italian Job grossed: £2,294,027 in the UK where as it grossed: $19,457,944 in the USA. The UK had 428 screens and the USA had 2,633 screens. Obviously there is a massive difference in The Italian Jobs success but this can be to do to various factors, such as the size of the USA to the UK but I think that this shows that if I can, i should try and distribute my film over to the USA to be screened.


No comments:

Post a Comment